Okay! Just felt like posting something out of the blue. These are actually something I've been working on the past two or so years (at least, I think it's been that long since I created this style). For those who aren't familiar with my past dealings on the internet, spriting was actually something I was previously well-known for before I took to drawing (had been spriting since 2002). So this is a taste of the things I've done previously, and to show that I still do sprite on occasion for those who do know me for my spriting.
This sprite style is basically my own personal Sonic style I came up with to accurately show sizing of characters. I haven't got them here, but I have a height chart that I use to estimate the accurate sizing based on written information, as well as visual comparison. I originally modeled the first Modern Sonic sprite based on how tall Modern Sonic would realistically be to a Sonic 3 sprite (considering from Generations, the Genesis-era Sonic games have come to represent the shorter Classic Sonic). So the sprites here would be an "accurate" sizing when translating to a Sonic 3 sprited mindset (however, ignoring Classic Eggman's height disparity in the Genesis games).
So now to list the characters for those who aren't familiar!
First Row: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Cream, Big, Vector, Espio, Charmy, Shadow, Rouge, Omega.
Second Row: Blaze, Marine, Silver, Jet, Wave, Storm, Shade, Tikal, Chaos, Metal Sonic, Gemerl, Chaos Gamma (from Sonic Battle).
Third Row: Dr. Eggman, Dr. Eggman (06 outfit), G.U.N. Commander, Princess Elise, Maria Robotnik (SHtH outfit), Maria Robotnik (SA2 outfit), Chris Thorndyke, Classic Sonic, Classic Dr. Eggman, Neo Metal Sonic.
Fourth Row: Dr. Robotnik (AoStH), Dr. Warpnik (AoStH), Breezie (AoStH), Grand Battle Kukku 15th, Vanilla, Vanguard (young Kukku 15th), Vanilla (young), Silhou, Ark, Silence, Destiny.
Fifth Row: Zomom, Zazz, Zavok, Zeena, Zor, Zik, Mario, Bowser, Mega Man.
Just some notes on some of the sprites:
* Originally I started with only the first two rows. Some of my choices are slightly questionable, particularly with regards to spriting Gemerl instead of Emerl, and Chaos Gamma instead of E-102 Gamma. I chose those two in particular, because the lineup in the first two rows are who I consider "still present" in the Modern era, with Gemerl and Chaos Gamma still being active, while their pre-incarnations are obsolete.
* The 06!Eggman outfit was a bit of fun, showing what the Adventure design of Eggman would look like with the clothes he wears in Sonic 06. I'm very fond of the overall design, haha.
* Classic Sonic's sprite is modeled to be the same height as a Genesis sprite. So using that as a basis, Modern Sonic is created to show an accurate height, with all others being accurate when compared to him.
* I originally started with spriting Dr. Warpnik in the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog series of sprites, because I wanted to show how vastly different cousins of Dr. Robotnik are (with Maria being the other contrast, haha).
* I took a few liberties with Grand Battle Kukku 15th's height to show how he would look compared to Vanilla the Rabbit (who I pair in my canon ideas). Next to them are their younger designs I use in my "20 Years Ago" storyline involving the two in their youth.
* Silhou, Ark, Silence and Destiny are an example of how some of my more original fancharacter ideas look in sprited form, in hopes that they would look quite natural along with the official Sonic cast.
* I only recently got back into spriting after desiring to sprite the Deadly Six. They were quite a blast to sprite, I will shortly post up a gradual progression of how I go about spriting featuring the Deadly Six.
* I sprited Mario, Bowser and Mega Man along with all these Sonic sprites, because the Mario and Mega Man series have had crossovers with the Sonic franchise. 'nuff said.
Glad I finally got that spiel out of the way! Anyways, the sprite style is very fun to work with, since I get to experiment with how characters look next to each other without having to draw them myself! I've worked to make sure each sprite sticks to a limited 16 colour palette, and a universal palette to cut down on an overall number of colours for the style as a whole. Most of the sprites here are particularly unfinished. I had wanted to finally post these up when I actually completed all the sprites I had intended to sprite, but at this rate I'll likely never finish with them.
I would also just like to mention, this is my own personal custom-created stye that I work on solely for myself, so it would be much appreciated if people do not touch them or work with them in any way. Outside of being completely unfinished, this is a project I would like to work on on my own until further notice, thank you very much.